A Look into Animated Music Videos

A Look into Animated Music Videos


This week after realizing that a large amount of the content I consume on a daily basis through music videos is animated, I decided to look through some of the common themes among them. The first video I have linked above is sung by one of my favorite youtube content creators who is in a band called Ninja Sex Party, and another band called Star Bomb. A large amount of the videos he does for the various groups are animated. These videos all seem to be in a 2D format that resemble a 90's old school anime style. Other videos that follow this format are the Harder Better Faster video by Daft Punk which has over 80 million views on Youtube and many of the Gorillaz music videos. This style lends itself well to a fantasy theme due to the over exaggeration of features and the way it distances itself from reality. Another video I took my time to look at is called Lone Digger by Caravan Palace. Warning: does feature themes of sex and violence, but I felt the need to include it.


This music video uses the process of rotoscoping to create the animation which is drawing over film. I had never heard of rotoscoping before my research into this project but it seems to be an effective, although older, method of animating.


https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/Waking_Life_rotoscoping_372.jpg
Example of Rotoscoping

The last Video which is the one that inspired this whole blog post is from Logic's music video for his song Icy. This almost 5 minute music video only features about 30 seconds of animation but when I first saw it I was amazed because it looked like something I could put together. It was a simple, stylistic short bit with lots of character. I really like the use of the simple 3D animation and use of basic shapes to create these characters. I would really like to create something like this by using similar techniques. This animation isn't perfect, which is what I like about it because it's something I can relate to with my own work. At the very beginning, we can see Bobby's character lying on the bed but his legs go through the object a little bit which made me smile when I noticed it because it's relateable from an artist's standpoint. Not to mention I love the message of the song since it is making fun of modern hip hop artists and their obsession with their image which is a clever theme.


Comments

Popular Posts