Marking Period 2

Marking Period 2

This marking period I only had to finish a small amount of time finishing up the previous cavern project that I was working on but I unfortunately came to a pretty large road block with rendering the final project. I am overall unsatisfied with the lighting in the scene and since I am unable to work on my projects at home due to the age of our PC, I have postponed rending the final images of my first project for now this is unfortunate but I hope to come back to it soon. during this time I chose to move on and then make something of a somewhat different style.

Planning: I chose to try a different style then I usually do for this next project by instead of creating a cluttered scene that shows lots of diversity and objects like the bar scene I created last year, I chose to cut it down a lot and create only a few more detailed items that would become focal points in the scene. this will allow  me to spend more time working on them and hopefully having them be of better quality than lets say a chair I could usually make in 20 minutes for a scene. since I wanted to focus on only a few items I began looking at reference images for things like that. I chose that I wanted my next scene to either feature architecture or a certain time period of building in some way since I find an interest in many building types and chose to look at some for a few of my blog posts. I decided on a Victorian style of building and focused on things that would've been used in a house during the 19th century. This theme, in hindsight, was a difficult one to choose since it heavily focuses on detailed and ornate pieces. I also felt that this would lend itself to a fantasy theme well since during this time period there were many urban legends and ghost stories. I also decided in contrast to the mushroom man scene I had created, that instead of the fantasy or paranormal element being the biggest thing in the scene I wanted it to be subtle and not so in your face, almost like an added background effect.

Producing: I decided to dive in and begin using proportional editing to create the basin for a claw-foot tub. I decided to create a bathroom because I thought it could be a bit more different than a living room or bedroom that had more clutter in them. Since I decided to make these few items I chose to make a sink and a tub. this process was a lot of trial and error to achieve the results I wanted. the thing I think I worked on the most are probably the sink faucets simply because I had a difficult time trying to make them look correct and functional. My favorite thing to create was the claw-foots (clawfeet?) because of the way I chose to model them. I created a flat design and then used the solidify modifier to thicken it and then used proportional editing to create the bent shape I used lots of reference photos for this project, many more than I usually do since I usually have the "wing it" mindset. Although I didn't really use any one image for any of the items I created I was heavily inspired by the two images I show below. I was originally going to show my fantasy theme by having something either laying in the bathtub of coming out of the drain, but I decided to scratch that idea and instead I'm going to add ghostly figures outside the window.

Image result for victorian sinkImage result for victorian clawfoot tub

Evaluating: Although I'm not quite done with the project yet, I quite like what I have so far. I think this change to a more detailed style of work really benefited the outcome of the objects I have. As I mentioned above, I think the choice of Victorian architecture was a more difficult one, but I think it was the right one. I wanted something that could be darker and lend itself to my theme and style lighting. I still have to create a few things for the scene to make it look polished such as light fixtures and I have to choose what tile I want and stuff like that as well but I have an idea of what I want. I think what I have so far took me a really long time to create considering there's only two main objects, the sink and the tub, but I like it much more than most other work I am creating so that is a trade off I must deal with I guess. I think this will be one of my favorite projects when I am done with it and polish it with the final textures and small details.

Integrating: I am very happy I finally got to use some of my knowledge about architecture in a model. I prefer to usually create scenes that are darker, atmospheric, and indoors so this was definitely more my speed and something I enjoyed creating. I took a lot of time on my blog post looking at more strange things or anomalies about artwork than necessarily looking at techniques that I could use in my modelling. This helped me more than I thought it would because I was having a hard time with no inspiration. these perhaps strange investigations helped me get somewhat back on track.




Comments

Popular Posts