Autodale Series review

Autodale Animated Series

A few weeks ago I had a video pop up in my YouTube recommended that was called "Model Citizen" by a creator Dead Sound otherwise known as David Armsby, and I instantly knew it would be something up my alley. I obviously enjoy animation as well as dystopian themes which was one of the labels that was in the title of the video. When looking back for the video this weekend to do this blog post I found that there was an entire series of these short films all ranging from 3 to 6 minutes long with the first ones coming out in 2017 and the latest coming out only 10 days ago at the time of posting this.

The Matriarch

There are 5 animated shorts in the series at this time and they follow the idea of a society overrun by robots. There is a distinct 1950's feel that accompanies the words they use and what they deem acceptable in society which is always something that will be challenged by the people in it. The Robots essentially terminate all the  people they consider "ugly" who are all labelled with words lie crippled, retarded, queer  or other things considered to be negative in this society. The only time we ever see color in the series is whenever there is blood so that we immediately recognize the violence .

Image result for autodale animated series
The Uglies of society

Image result for lucy detroit become human
Detroit: Become Human character Lucy
I really enjoyed the use of vague storytelling in this series overall because it can be interpreted so many different ways. It also goes to explore what what could possibly happen if AI were to become either sentient or gain control which has been a favorite theme of mine lately after watching this and playing a very good video game called Detroit: Become Human that explores a similar theme in a totally different way I think for my next project I will explore the idea in a similar way by making something with a somewhat cyberpunk art style. I have been inspired by both the Matriarch character and one of the androids from Detroit: become human for a design but I am scared to make a full on human model with the limited time I have left so perhaps I will have to come up with another way to portray this theme. I look forward to seeing other forms of media that involve these similar themes of technology and society.



Work Log: Reviewed other students work all this week

Comments

Popular Posts