Architecture in Fantasy

Related imageArchitecture in Fantasy

Taking a look at the different style of architecture in fantasy setting there are some very different styles that are used. The two main styles that are used seem to be either Victorian or medieval styles. Since these are both styles that can be quite intricate, this may prove to be a challenge with modelling in future scenes. Some of the things I immediately noticed were the use of external staircases, arches, and tall towers and other elements similar to the more modern Tudor style architecture. All of these elements can be seen on the image to the right. Keeping these elements in mind will help when I decide to build a scene. Thinking forward to the future scenes I want to make I think I would rather focus on a single room instead of an entire building, so I focused on how I could use these in a scene I would be creating. My first idea that I had was to create a claw-foot tub as a focal point in a Victorian style bathroom. Other things I could incorporate would be stained glass windows, an elaborate mirror as a centerpiece and come candles.  since these individual things could take me a long time to model knowing my work ethic, I will choose to keep the overall room rather small and as minimalist as this style can be.

Image result for victorian clawfoot tub
Although it isn't at all the color scheme I was looking to create, this photo gives off the general idea of what I am looking to create in this scene as regard to proportion and how I could frame the shot. I think if I were to create a scene using these architectural elements that setting it up in a similar way could show off all the elements i want to use, while possibly using the darker color scheme with green and red accents that I explored in an earlier blog post.

i am looking to create in this scene a sense of uneasiness without having the bathroom be too abnormal. I want the place to look cold and harsh without being dirty or gross and I thing using the Victorian style with lots of vampish elements and incredibly detailed pieces will lend itself well to that kind of environment.

Although I love other styles of various modern architecture, I think that will be harder to connect to anything fantastical due to it being so normalized in our every day lives.

Types of Arches | HubPages

I will have to look at some images of stained glass windows and archways to get the designs I desire which I will enjoy since I like making geometrical patterns. This itself will be a fun part of the process for me and is something I am looking forward to.

Work Log
Monday: continue finishing up the fur collar on a cloak
Tuesday: begin putting together parts of the scene I modeled previously after working through some issues in blender
Wednesday: Continue staging the scene and start texturing the individual objects to fit the color scheme in mind.
Thursday: Take a break from staging the cavern scene and begin modelling a claw-foot tub to start my next project after leaving my flash drive at home
Friday: resume texturing the cavern with little success

Comments

Popular Posts